Saturday, 16 August 2008


For both me and Alfie bear!

Alfie (Albi is greyhoundgap name but we call him Alfie Bear) continues to thrive and now has 3 full walks with the pack a day and still has so much energy that the other hounds just look at him in dismay! He has overcome his fear of the traffic but still hates the hoover. Eric has nicknamed him the termite as he has progressed from shredding paper to chewing wood ie my hairbrush and the wooden coasters LOL. He still spends the afternoon having a nap cuddled up to me on the bed and usually manages to get there before me. Ever since we first met him it was very obvious that he preferred ladies but this week he has started to jump up on the sofa and cuddle up to Eric so whatever made him fearful of men seems to be receding. He now has just 2 meals a day and clears his bowl and goes looking for any leftovers in the other bowls LOL he has gained some weight and his muscle definition is returning. No progress with the eye but it doesn't seem to cause him pain. I think the time is fast approaching when a decision will have to be made about this little man, in all honestly I cannot imagine life without him so maybe we are doomed to be failed fosters AGAIN LOL.

My knee op has gone well, had a hiccup on admission when the anaesthetist decided my chest was to crackly to operate but after two goes with the nebuliser and a night of worrying it went ahead as planned. The spinal was quite bizarre being able to see my leg but have no feeling in it and when they lifted it up I couldn't stop laughing. The nerve blockers certainly done the job and kept the pain at bay for the first 12 hours but after that it was horrendous. Wednesday night was ghastly with the night nurse not even bothering to give me the buzzer and by the time the morning nurses arrived I was in a terrible state but they eventually manged to get enough morphine in to deaden the pain. Thursday was a horrible day, mostly being sick and doped up but by the Friday I had turned the corner and started the physio. Food was terrible and sleep next to impossible with so much activity on the ward. So the decision was made to release me a day early. Apparently the knee was much worse than expected and took alot longer to fix but the consultant was pleased with the outcome and I have a very straight scar. The 27 staples have been removed now, so moving it is easier. Still have to work hard at the exercises but at two weeks I already have a 70 degree bend, I should be at 90 degrees by 6 weeks so well on the way. Since coming home it has been much better, decent food and lots of rest make such a difference LOL. Eric has been fantastic and catered to my every whim and has even bought me an early birthday present for being so brave (he said) I am now the proud owner of a Cricut expression how lucky am I......

I was moaning to a friend during the week that all I do is eat, sleep and rest but they pointed out that is what convalasing is LOL, I guess I'm just in a hurry for life to return to normal again. It seems such a long time ago that I could actually walk and do normal things like housework and cooking.

I have received so many beautiful cards and as for flowers it's like a florists here, and I have a good supply of maltesers to aid my recovery! So to everyone who has sent me cards and flowers many many thanks

Sue xxx


Jane said...

lovely to see you looking so well Sue and Alfie Bear too. Wish I could have sent you a card but I don't have your address, could you pm me with it on UKS and I will give you mine, take care jane xx

Sharon said...

Lovely to hear how well Alfie is doing and how well your recovery is progressing. Sounds like you ahd a horrendous time in hospital though.

(sorry I've not read your blog for a while - I am bad at keeping up my own one and now it appears I am just as bad when it comes to regularly reading others' blogs! Must try harder!!!)